Monday, April 20, 2009

The heart of the home...your kitchen.


It goes without saying that the kitchen truly is the heart of the home. I have found that if my kitchen is pulled together, it affects every other room in the house. A kitchen is the one consistent place where creations from the heart are made for those we love the most. So, I have often asked myself, "Does my kitchen inspire me?"

Look around your kitchen today. Is it a place free from clutter? Are there piles of unopened and unsorted mail? Is your sink full of dishes? Are there dishes still "drying" from last week's dinner? Today is the day to start to reclaim your space.

Step 1
Make a commitment to yourself that starting today, for one week, you will not go to bed with a dirty kitchen. I read a book once called "Sink Reflections" by the Fly Lady. She talked about going through a phase in her life where her house was slipping out of control. So, she tried to make sure that at the very least, she would clean her kitchen sink every night. She described how waking up to that clean sink smiling at her changed her life. I could not agree more.

You will be amazed at the difference it will make and how much more manageable your kitchen routine will be if you start the day with an empty, shiny sink. The next morning, unload it as soon as possible and gradually fill it throughout the day. You will find that your heart will smile every time you see your empty, clean sink.

Step 2
Take an assessment of your kitchen. Is the space working for you? Are you having to store too many appliances and items on your counter? When ever possible, try to clear your counter tops from appliances and items that are not used daily. This will clear up a ton of space and you will be surprised at how much cleaner your kitchen will feel when there is not a lot of stuff on the counters. I know that this is not always possible in a really small space, but do your best and give it a shot. You will feel like you have doubled your counter space. The reward is instantaneous.

You will quickly find that kitchen counter tops are some of the most valuable real estate in your home. Be extremely selective of what deserves to be on them!

Good luck with these challenges! One last tip, every time you run a load of dishes, toss your scrub brush and sponges in as well. It will disinfect and clean them for the next day.

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to convince my roommates about the scrub brush and sponges in the dishwasher trick. They don't buy it. But I think it is a great tip. And as for the clean sink, when I walk into the kitchen in the morning and see an empty or nearly empty sink I breathe a sigh of relief. Makes such a huge difference. Great advice.

    ReplyDelete